Paul Haggis Hints at Scientology Vendetta as Italian Prosecutor Requests Director Placed Back Under Arrest

The prosecutor’s office in the southern Italian city of Brindisi has requested that Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis be arrested after a judge last week ruled he was released following sexual assault charges.

Haggis’ attorney Michelle LaForgia confirmed this on Tuesday. Diversity That the prosecution and the alleged victim’s lawyers have filed an appeal against a decision made last week by Judge Wilma Gilly, who, during a special evidence pre-trial hearing during which the accused and the accusers came face to face, ruled Told that Haggis should be freed. After being under house arrest in a hotel for 16 days.

Variety . Other Movies-TV Shows

In the ruling, the judge noted the “absence of limiting violent behavior” on the part of Haggis towards the alleged victim, who, according to Italian press reports, is a 28-year-old British woman.

The judge also outlined in the ruling that the woman’s decision to live with Haggis, who is 69, was “spontaneous” in their residence, according to the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

Following last week’s ruling, prosecutors did not immediately say whether they would move to drop the investigation or to pursue it. It is now clear that they are still determined to go for trial.

Laforgia explained in a text message on Tuesday Diversity That next step would be a review and discussion of the case before another judge in the city of Lecce, “several weeks” from now.

Haggis, who won two Oscars for “Crash” and is also known for writing “Million Dollar Baby”, was arrested on June 19 in Ostuni, the southern region of Puglia, on the heels of the Italian boot, on charges of sexual assault went. Delivered over two days.

According to a report by Italian police, the alleged victim was later taken by Haggis to Brindisi’s Papola Casale airport and left at dawn, despite her precarious physical and psychological conditions.

In an interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica on Tuesday, Haggis reiterated his claims of innocence and his belief that Italian courts “will find out the truth,” he said.

Asked by La Repubblica if he had made some mistakes, Haggis said: “My first mistake was to allow someone I didn’t know. that was stupid.”

“The second mistake,” said Haggis, “happened last morning, when something happened that I found particularly unpleasant and I decided to end the situation abruptly. I saw this woman at the airport several hours before her flight. took away.”

Asked if there might be a connection to the Church of Scientology, the director bitterly parted ways in 2009 and later appeared in a New Yorker piece and “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief” and “Leah Remini” documentaries. : Scientology and the Aftermath,” Haggis didn’t deny it.

“I don’t have proof. But from what I’ve learned from Scientology, I know they’re capable of anything,” he told La Repubblica. “If you speak out against them, they will use whatever means to destroy your reputation, your career and your family,” he said.

Laforgia did not respond Diversity Interview request with Haggis.

Haggis is also facing court proceedings in the US, where he is being tried by film publicist Haley Brest, who alleged that Haggis raped her in January 2013. Brest originally filed the lawsuit in December 2017, although proceedings were delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A trial date has now been set for October 11 in Manhattan. Haggis says the encounter with Brest, which reportedly took place after a premiere, was consensual.

best of variety

Sign up for the Variety newsletter. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest news.

Click here to read the full article.

Source link

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.